An ankle sprain can be very painful and it happens when you accidently twist or turn your ankle in an awkward way. Taking a wrong step may tear or stretch the ligaments that hold your ankle and joints – and women on heels are most prone for a sprained ankle.
Auch! Been there suffered from that, and not being able to walk when you’re an active person, it excruciating when it comes hand in hand with a horrible pain and swelling.
Given this reason, I decided to write this article for anyone in pain, because anyone at some point in this life will suffer from a sprained ankle and they should know how to treat it rapidly using home remedies.
Well, once the lesion occurs, it’s very important to immobilize the area, meaning that you have to walk less and stay more in bed.
The next step, is to call your mother or tell your husband to help you with the following remedies.
1. Red Clay and Vinegar Ointment
- A mug of red powdery clay
- Plastic foil
First, put the red clay in a large pot, and then add the vinegar gradually while mixing until you obtain a paste.
Apply the paste over the sprained ankle in a thick layer, and then wrap the foot with plastic foil. Let it cat for 20 minutes or more. At the end, rinse everything with warm water.
- Ice applications are one of the best methods you can use to reduce swelling when dealing with a sprained ankle. By applying ice over the area as soon as the lesion produced the effects will appear sooner.
- Lie on the couch or on the bed and raise the ankle above the heart level. This will prevent blood from accumulating and reduce swelling.
- Keep the ice on the affected area for 15 minutes, wait for half an hour, and then apply it again.
3. Epsom Salt
- 4 cups of water
- ½ cup of Epsom salt
- Heat the water and pour it into a large bowl or basin. Add half a cup of Epsom salt in water and stir well until the salt dissolves and the water cools.
- The next move is to soak your feet in the water and let them stand for half an hour.
- You can repeat this process twice a day.
4. Hot compresses
After 24 hours elapsed since the sprain and the swelling has decreased, perhaps the pain has calmed down. This doesn’t mean that you’re healed. Warm compresses can be of great help, being one of the most effective for ankle sprains. Hot compress stimulates blood circulation and helps healing the muscles around the ankle.
You can apply a cloth soaked in warm water over the area or cover your foot with a warm towel.
- 60 g of chamomile
- 4 cups of water
- First, add the plant in a pot of boiling water. Let it boil for 3 more minutes and let it cool down a bit.
- When the chamomile tea has cooled down, pour it into a basin and soak your feet in it for 20 minutes.
6. Piper Cayenne
- A cup of hot water
- 1 cup of Cayenne pepper
- In a pot of boiling water, add some Cayenne pepper, and then soak a small cotton towel in the liquid.
- Apply the towel over the affected area. There is no need to rinse and let it act for half an hour.