Baking soda is known for being a staple in the kitchen but it’s also one of the most useful and not to mention inexpensive ingredients around when it comes to DIY skin care! See 10 unexpected uses of baking soda in beauty treatments:
1) Baking soda body scrub: mix 3 tablespoons of baking soda with 1 tablespoon of oatmeal and add 3 tablespoons of water. You’ll get an amazing hydrating and refreshing body scrub. Rub this paste on your body in circular motions and wash it with warm water. This baking soda body scrub will help remove dead cells from the skin surface, making it baby soft and very smooth. You can also use this scrub for your face, but remember – always be gentle with your face, never rub too hard!
2) If you have a rush, an insect bite or a bee sting on your skin, rub baking soda over those areas and you’ll be pain relieved.
3) Wash your makeup brushes with baking soda, it will help remove oil build-up and residue from cosmetic products. Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 1 cup of water. Soak your makeup brushes in this solution, then rinse with water and let them dry.
4) Add baking soda in your bath to make your skin softer
Before taking a bath, add half a cup of baking soda into your bathtub. It will make your skin softer and smoother.
5) Baking soda mouthwash. To create an easy baking soda mouthwash, mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 3 drops of peppermint essential oil (or eucalyptus essential oil) in a glass of water. Your mouthwash is ready! It will freshen your breath and will neutralize bacteria.
6) One of the very unexpected uses of baking soda is using it as a deodorant. Put 3 tablespoons of baking soda into one bowl and add 3-5 drops of your favorite essential oil (my favorites are rose and lavender essential oils), mix them all together and your deodorant is ready. Apply it with a powder puff or a kabuki brush on your underarms, it will efficiently neutralize the body odor.
7) If you have a sore tooth, use baking soda as mouthwash (1 teaspoon of baking soda + half cup of water). Pain will disappear.
8) Add one tea spoon of baking soda into a vase of freshly cut flowers – this will keep flowers fresh for longer.
9) You can use baking soda as a face scrub. Just mix in your hand 1 tablespoon of baking soda with 2-3 tablespoons of water and gently massage it on your face for about 1 minute using circular motions, then – rinse. This gentle scrub will make your skin very soft and smooth. I love using it one or two times a week.
10) One of the most common uses of baking soda – wash fruits and vegetables with it. It’s natural, easy and efficient.